Sunday, June 7, 2015

Beneath digging up free "not new" perennials from the fields? Not me.

I'll be going back for these two day lilies. I found them where snow had been dumped (really snowy winter meant the stuff had to be trucked to designated dump sites). They were probably scraped up from someone's roadside garden.

Over the years I've gotten a lot of nice perennials from fields and such. You just have to be able to recognize the foliage. Once I found an abandoned farm field full of irises. Because the tubers had become covered with weeds, they didn't bloom in the field, but bloomed nicely when I took them home. I've found other such plants by looking for for former home sites in the country. You can usually tell by the layout of the weeds/trees that something used to be there. These are sites that will later be plowed under for development, so I consider it a plant rescue as well as an addition to my garden.

1 comment:

  1. When they were going to demo the (former) bank across the street from us, to build the Lexington Coop, I snuck over the evening before and dug up some of the lilies and other stuff in the parking lot strip garden and took them. Don't tell anyone. I slept better after the seven year the statute of limitations was up.

    ReplyDelete