Saturday, September 26, 2015

Dying the table yellow with analine dye was sort of a fail.

I went through a whole lotta work for not a lotta change. As you can see, the teak veneer did have a lot of red tones. But, in the middle photo, you can see that it did look like it was taking the dye well (the white haze was raised grain that I sanded down). I don't have a picture of the first coat of varnish. That was pretty bad. The white haze that I sanded off didn't completely wash away when I wiped the table down with mineral spirits. White specs were caught in the deep grooves of the grain. A second sanding (and better wiping) and another coat of clear varnish seem to have alleviated most of that problem...but the clear varnish brought up all the red tones in the wood. I don't think you can tell I dyed it yellow at all. If I ever do anymore more refinishing (I've done plenty in the past), I won't try to dye stripped wood (I would try it again on fresh wood). Ya lives and ya learns. I've also learned that today's stripping chemicals are nowhere near as powerful and effective as the ones from two decades ago...makes me reluctant to strip again.

No comments:

Post a Comment