Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Airfare savings tips

Ok, I haven't figured out a way to do "not-new" airfare (maybe you can tell me about a way to hop a flight with a private pilot?), but I do know some tricks that can save you hundreds of dollars:
1. Don't overlook small airlines that kayak.com and other fare-finding services leave out. I always go to the airport's website for a list of carriers and make sure I check flights from every airline servicing that location.
2. Always clear your cookies. Ever notice how the cost of the flight goes up every time you go back to check on it? That's because the airline knows you are interested. Clear your cookies off your computer before logging in. A friend of mine was complaining about the exorbitant cost of an intinerary. I told him to clear his cookies and his fare went down $300.
3. Make it look like you are buying flights from within that country when flying internationally. I haven't checked this out myself, but read about it. Apparently using Google ITA to search flights will automatically make the system assume you are in the departing city, saving you big time.
4. Check alternate dates if possible. Sometimes a day or two difference can save you way more than your hotel/meal costs for that day. Flying midweek seems to most often be more economical.
5. Check alternate airports. When I am traveling during peak school-break travel times, I can get much better airfare if I drive 2 hours to another state (with a different break schedule). Alternatively, if I drive just 40 minutes to a smaller, regional airport I can save money using their discount carrier (unfortunately, said discount carrier only flies to two locations).
6. Buy fares on Tuesdays. (I think that's the day.) Prices change all the time. I beleive Kayak will even show you a chart indicating the best window to buy your tickets...you don't want to purchase too soon or too late.
7. Go to Florida in Dec. Heck, maybe it's cheaper to go everywhere in Dec. People are getting ready for the holidays and not thinking "vacation." Last year, the husband and I flew for under $100 rt pp from NY to FL and stayed in a 4-star hotel for just $100 per night (total). We could have stayed even way cheaper than that if we didn't splurge on a luxury beachfront hotel. Those were the days! Retiring this year, we did not fly anywhere. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment