Saturday, December 27, 2014

Postage savings anyone?

I only know a couple tips for saving money on postage, but I'm hoping some readers can share some. (Uber? Moving companies? Fivver?) Here are my tips:
1. If you are mailing a book, use the USPS and mail only the book, nothing else (you can always write a note on the inside cover). This will qualify for the deeply discounted book rate.
2. Large, heavy packages are cheaper to mail through UPS, smaller, less heavy packages are cheaper to mail through the USPS.
3. It often pays to use the (free) USPS priority mail boxes...just be sure the box doesn't say "priority mail express"...that's overnight delivery and it will cost you a bundle.
4. Set up an online account with the USPS and print your postage at home. It's a lot cheaper. (Or ask your employer if you can mail through their rates and reimburse them).
6. Amazon Prime lets you put up to 5 people on your membership who will enjoy free shipping on most items. While I like to shop local, I usually buy my gifts for out-of-towners through Amazon Prime for the free shipping (and good prices...on almost everything)...and my sister is the Prime member, so I don't even have to pay for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment