Sunday, December 21, 2014

Got the couch I needed. Thank you, Craigslist.

So, I haven’t had a living room couch for 17 years. I knew the (cranky) husband was not going to be happy about me spending money on one, but a pre-owned couch was an entirely different matter. How could he complain about $135 for a couch? (Well, he did, but the husband is a piece of work.) I had been looking on craigslist for about two weeks for a leather couch (used fabric furniture kind of skeeves me out, but I can clean leather enough to eliminate my queezieness). I saw an ad with no picture for a couch for $135 in my general area, so I asked the owner to text me a picture. It was the first couch I saw that I wanted to bother going to look at (the low price was a big motivator). And I liked the couch in person. Said couch is about 20 years old, but still in good structural shape. It must weigh over 400 lbs. I’m sure it was extremely expensive new. The owner was a really nice guy, so I didn’t try to talk him down in price. I probably could have since the couch needs a good bit of work…missing button, lots of wear, scuffs and a small hole. But, I’m just not a talker-downer. At least, not when the price is reasonable. Plus, the guy lived less than a mile from me. I won’t be able to recondition the couch until Spring. I’ll post how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment