Saturday, January 3, 2015

Couldn't find a "not new" thermostat

My thermostat broke. I did LOOK for a thermostat at Buffalo ReStore (they often have new merchandise donated from stores and manufacturers), but had no luck. Didn't have time to look further: I needed heat! I did resist the fancy-schmancy Nest and Lyric thermostats that you can program from your phone (over $250 AND I don't trust them). I did spend the extra $6 ($26 total) to get a 5/2 day programmable unit even though, being retired, we don't need it. I figured the next owners will appreciate it.
Turns out thermostats often contain mercury and need to be properly recycled. You can find out where here: http://www.thermostat-recycle.org/zipsearch

6 comments:

  1. I've rarely seen these on the second hand market. My husband is in HVAC and we have the very same thermostat as you picked. My tip to you, even though it involves buying something new. Get a spare back of AAA batteries and put them with the thermostat instructions. If the batteries go dead, your system shuts down. Having the batteries on hand means you can replace them in a jiffy. It might also save you from panicking and placing an expensive service call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the two of you knowing each other. Alex M. was my wife's college roommate, and in our wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry. I won't spill any of those terribly embarrassing (and quite shocking) little secrets of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue Knott - you don't have those secrets. Alex M. does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, goodie, goodie, goodie. She seems like a sharing person, you chocolate hater, you.

    ReplyDelete