Wednesday, January 7, 2015

It is amazing how often I'm forced to buy "new."

It's just short of 2 months since I decided to spend a year buying nothing "new." In that short time, there have been 3 birthdays (gifts and cards), a death (card and flowers), a broken thermostat, toaster and blender and now, the pegs (plastic) holding up two of the shelves in my kitchen cabinets have failed. Pretty sure from perusing the odds and ends at the thrift stores that I'm not going to find those there and it's definitely not worth the time and gas to try (especially since it is 5 degrees F today). I was at least lucky enough to find some on clearance at Lowe's ($5 as opposed to $8). I'm having company in from out of town this week, so it was not something I wanted to put off.
If you're curious and too tired to look through my posts, I replaced the toaster with a $1 used toaster from an estate sale (after a week or two). The thermostat was replaced with a new one (though, I did first try to find one at a re-use shop) and I'm still hoping to find a used Ninja blender somewhere, someday.

2 comments:

  1. There is a difference between "wants" and "needs" and sometimes if you shortchange the "needs" you end up with a bigger problem in the end. I could think of a few cheesy alternatives to those pegs, but there is also the economy of thought and effort and sometimes it's worth it to buy based on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought of sticking pencil pieces or something like that in the holes, but the risk of them failing and the shelves crashing and breaking dishes is not worth it. In fact, I really should replace the pegs on the other shelves that hold glassware now that I think of it, since these aren't the first pegs to fail.

    ReplyDelete