Thursday, January 29, 2015

Took a foray into a pawn shop

Even though I love bargains and all things used, I'd never been in a pawn shop before. Just seemed like some sort of shady, dark world I would not be equipped to navigate. I mean, there's the three balls, the connection with crime and sketchy characters. But, that really didn't seem to be the case (except for the balls). I went in because I'd seen a telescope listed there on craigslist.com. I've been looking for a telescope, hoping I can employ it in bird watching (not to mention, I've always kinda wanted to get a better look at the stars). The place was in a safe area and the merchandise was in good condition. This one seemed to specialize in tools and I might go back for the miter saw they had. There wasn't all that much merchandise in the store, but what they had was well organized. They were asking a bit much for the telescope. I probably should have got the guy down another $20 (I paid $60), but I'm not good at bargaining, especially when the other party is likely struggling financially more than I. However, my "not new" telescope is in great shape, has all its parts and I'm happy to have gotten it in one quick, easy trip (been looking at estate sales and thrift shops for months and haven't found anything). I'll try going to more pawn shops in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment