Saturday, May 16, 2015

If this is a structure, I may be in trouble.

Well a "neighbor" blew me in to the Town building inspector. (I would think a "neighbor" would come over and talk to you if they had a problem, but I guess that's just me.) If my temporary greenhouse is a "structure," then I needed a building permit (the letter I received was ambivalent because the inspector had only seen the hoops and was unsure what I was up to). I will call on Monday and sort through the mess. Even though I was planning to take the greenhouse down soon anyway, I was also thinking I might put it back up for several weeks in the spring and/or maybe a few weeks in the fall, depending on the (lately very weird) weather. If I have to get a building permit each time, that will be a pain. And what about a trellis? I guess I'll have to button down the building inspector when I talk to him. The town's definition of structure seems ridiculously broad (might even include the bench the neighbor I think blew me in has in his front yard...bet he didn't bother getting a building permit...but that's just me being snarky).

1 comment:

  1. What?!? Ummm... first of all your neighbor is a jerk! Secondly, I think that even the broadest definition of "structure" would be something that a person would be inside. I can't in my wildest imagination figure out how anyone could classify a hoop house as a "structure". Good GAWD!!

    ReplyDelete