Tuesday, May 26, 2015

New, but not-the-usual-way, prescription eyeglasses.

A post from a friend reminded me about my way-cool (I think), but way-cheap glasses. I got these a few years ago and they have forever changed the way I shop for glasses.

I found the frames on closeout at a store when I was on vacation, so I bought three pair (at $25 each, different styles). I didn't want to lay out a lot of cash getting three new pairs of lenses all at once, so I nosed around. I found an eyeglass place that would put in plastic lenses for $25 per pair. (Look for places called things like Value Vision, etc., and located in working class neighborhoods.) I thought I'd scratch up plastic lenses fairly quickly as I am not careful about putting my glasses down properly, but this was not the case. The lenses have served me well for years. And the store told me that they could put prescription lenses into almost any glasses including "readers" or sunglass frames from the drug store. I may have paid a small upcharge for getting these tinted to sunglasses. I cant recall. But, now I never pay more than $50 (complete) for trendy prescription eyeglasses. (But, I still love this old pair the best.)

1 comment:

  1. Now that's an interesting way to get glasses! I've been ordering mine from Zenni Optical lately - it's really cheap but not being able to try them on first is a real downside. I have a REALLY hard time finding frames that fit because my face is so narrow - add in the bifocal prescription and my choices are quite limited. I finally found a pair that's working for me - they're not as stylish as I would like - a tad bit on the Harry Potter side, but at least they fit and I can see! :-)

    ReplyDelete