Thursday, February 19, 2015

For $1.50 I can look uber professional in a second (and save my top from getting ruined)

Got these two scarves at Goodwill: $1.50 for the silk and $2.50 for the larger scarf. As you can see, they washed up beautifully (I will "iron" the silk scarf by sitting on it while I eat my dinner...I never iron-iron). I love prints and have discovered scarves are a cheap way for me to indulge (learned this early on after discovering all my print skirts didn't match my print blouses). While doing so, I also discovered that everyone thinks you are fabulously well dressed when you throw on a nice scarf. It's amazing. I was always a very casual dresser and the addition of a scarf made me look instantly professional.
Another nice thing about inexpensive, second-hand scarves is that they are de-facto bibs. As a, ahem, (unhappily) well-endowed woman, I've ruined a good number of tops. Putting a napkin in your lap is useless when any droppings never make it past your chest. However, a scarf protects the shirt. Sometimes the scarf washes up just fine. Other times, with the busy pattern, you can just fold the scarf a different way and no one will know there is a stain. If lunch results in a mishap, the scarf can be rearranged or removed and you can go through your business day without looking like a slob.
But, mostly, scarves are just beautiful and fun to wear. And warm. And hide cleavage until it can be displayed more acceptably at a later hour. So there.

3 comments:

  1. I too have the bust/shelf drop cloth problem! I like scarves too because they allow you to have color by your face and then you can wear black below without appearing washed out. I am always on the look-out for "Vera" scarves but they are so hard to come by. Glad to see you are a fellow" scarfer" too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a bit more difficult to find nice scarves at a thrift store because people usually don't give them away. Assuming most of my scarves' owners have passed away. (Well, not the new large one shown above...that owner likely just moved to FL)

      Delete
  2. I have never had the shelf, but am just messy, especially when driving. Scarves make me too warm, but I may start wearing them just to stay clean. Some women seem to wear scarves really well. Those are both very pretty scarves.

    ReplyDelete