Monday, February 23, 2015

My dream of hardwood flooring is starting to seem unattainable

I have 25 year old carpeting in horrible shape due to a seemingly untrainable offspring. Seriously, as this kid has aged, it has only gotten worse. There are underlying "issues"...it's not likely to change. Thought I would be replacing those carpets now that said offspring is college age, but the "issues" mean college may or may not happen and the carpet-destroying offspring may be with us a long time yet. Which is okay. The kid is otherwise a pleasure and a help. Plus, the husband is only slightly behind the offspring in his ability to destroy a home interior.

In any event, when I first started my "not new" year, I was surprised to find some nice options on craigslist. I got cocky and figured I could wait for the perfect flooring. Well, the options haven't been repeating and I'm worried I missed my chance. Today I saw genuine used hardwood flooring at an unbelievably low price, but there was only 400 sq ft. and I need about 475. Plus, truth be told, the husband is being a donkey's butt about spending, so I think I may have to install the floor myself and I think solid hardwood will be too difficult. I guess, when I see the "not new" engineered stuff again, I'll have to grab it up whether it's perfect or not. Pretty sure the offspring and I can install it ourselves. Thinking if I go with a "dirt cheap" choice, I can always not worry about it getting destroyed...keeping it as nice as I can for us, then replacing with another "dirt cheap" choice when/if we downsize. (Downsizing planned if/when the offspring launches.)

How, you may ask, does one get "not new" engineered hardwood flooring? Well, on craigslist, there were folks selling it second-hand. It hadn't actually been used, just purchased and not needed. Sure hope some more comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment