Saturday, February 21, 2015

Getting married? Go "not new."

There is a bridal consignment store opening near me. What a fabulous idea. Might even be possible for all the brideesmaids to get second hand dresses (they will kiss you). Of course, bridal gowns are always available second hand online or at Goodwill. I understand some cities even have rental places now. Starting a marriage out on a thrifty foot is a very good idea. Much better than the over-the-top extravagance of so many modern bridezillas.
To be upfront, I hadn't yet discovered the joys of "not new" when I married 23 years ago. I did sew my own gown and my bridesmaids wore off-the-rack numbers ordered from a catalog (I think it was Talbot's...still not cheap, but not as expensive as official bridesmaids gowns and two of my bridesmaids wore theirs several times...still, I heard the other complaining about the purchase). I wished I could have gotten one of the store sample bridal gowns that I'd seen on clearance for under $100...but I don't have a store-sample size body.

No comments:

Post a Comment