Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The world's lightest suitcases are worth their weight in baggage fees

If I weren't retired, I'd be going someplace warm next week. Sigh. If I were going, I'd allow myself to buy a new suitcase. I saw suitcases at TJ Maxx a couple months ago with tags that claimed "the lightest suitcase available" and "guaranteed for 15 yrs." The "guaranteed" tag was definitely needed as, being so lightweight, the bags felt flimsy. The bags were pricey, but definitely worth investing in if you fly much. These days, the airlines are careful about baggage weight and charge a fortune for extra bags. A light suitcase could pay for itself in one trip. The bags are gone from my store now. They have luggage that claims "featherlight" or some such thing, but it is pounds heavier than the other stuff. If I see one of the other ones again, I just might need to buy it. Even if it isn't "not new" and I don't have any immediate plans to travel. Being able to take an extra 5 lbs. of clothes can make all the difference if you are staying someplace where there is no handy laundry facility.

2 comments:

  1. My old carry on is heavy! Of course, when I bought it and used it there was no weight charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly enough, I don't think there is a weight limit for carry ons for most airlines, though some are charging for carry ons these days. Only a matter of time, I suppose, 'til they charge by the pound.

      Delete