Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Never be hungry for bread again...for under $20.

The shelf at Savers is always loaded with bread machines. I'm sure other thrifts may be similarly well stocked. I've seen what look like brand-spanking-new ones (in the box, with instructions) for up to $19.99. Usually they are much less, like the one pictured on the right for $5.99. I believe that is the same one I used to have. Loved that machine (lost the paddle, replacement didn't fit properly), bought a new machine as it was before I discovered the joys of going "not new."

It pays to do a little research to find out if the models available receive positive reviews (and if a manual is available online if you are not familiar with bread machine operation). I understand some don't bake that well, but I have been very happy with the two I've had (of course, I checked the reviews before purchasing).

It's really lovely to know you are just 3.5 hrs. away from a great loaF of fresh bread at any time. I usually buy my yeast in a jar and keep it in the freezer so I always have fresh. Many recipes/machines can be programmed to start at a given time, so you can set it up in the morning and have fresh bread when you get home from work...or whenever. The only downside is, it is very difficult not to eat the whole damn loaf when you have it sitting there hot and fresh in front of your face.

I'll leave you with a final bread baking tip: I've found I can add a 1/4 cup of flax seed (ground or whole) to a recipe without making any other adjustments. The resulting bread is somehow of a better (moister?) texture and you get the health benefits of the flax. Really doesn't seem to affect the taste much, if anything, the taste is better with the flax seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment