Monday, March 23, 2015

Bargain dentistry is actually extra new.

A tooth (actually, a tooth under a crown) broke clean off and it is going to cost me $4,600 to get an implant. If I had more time, I would have probably been able to get that done at the local dental school for a fraction of the price. If there is a dental school in your area, you should know that they offer greatly reduced dental services (at least, that's how it works at most dental schools in the US). The work is well supervised by the teachers, but it is performed by the students. The problem is, it usually takes more visits than it would at your local dentist office (the students work slower) and for major work (crowns, etc.), you have to submit your case before the semester starts. If your case is accepted, you'll be paired with a student who will work with you and you have to be available at times that fit into the student's schedule.

I applied and was accepted to have a crown put in by the UB School of Dentistry some years back, but I got a major work assignment right before the semester started, so I had to decline as I knew my availability was going to be sketchy. I thought about going back to the school route for this very expensive implant (I'm assuming they do implants), but I really can't afford the extra time away (and I'm a baby, very worried about something as tricky as an implant).

Often dental hygienist schools will also offer free teeth cleanings. It's worth checking out if you are on a tight budget.

2 comments:

  1. One of my best friends is an adjunct professor there and runs the clinic. They provide an invaluable service to the community and are the largest dental provider in Western NY. If we didn't have dental insurance again, I'd probably hit her up if we had a major emergency like yours. When I wasn't working, I'd have had the time for multiple visits!

    The school also isn't so quick to offer expensive crowns and root canals that you might not actually need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, Alex...I felt better about getting the crown after the school said I needed one (I was first told by my dentist, who was new to me, so I was wary).

    ReplyDelete