Sunday, March 22, 2015

My favorite plant ever was murdered...and I haven't found another just like it.

This big, beautiful delphinium was murdered by another plant. I can't recall the name of the murderous plant, but it was yellow and daisy-like (not one of the ones in this pic). The killer wasn't even all that attractive. But, I put it in one year and the next, it was all over the place...including the spot where this delphinium used to be. I was still pulling remnants of the evildoer 3 years later.

I loved this delphinium. It was the perfect color blue. It was huge...taller than me and even wider than me! I have trouble growing delphiniums. They are finicky for me. But this one thrived for a good number of years. The form of this delphinium was very unusual, as you can see. I've seen small delphinium varieties with same bushy form, but never any big ones. I can't tell you how much I loved this plant. It game me so much "bang" for one plant. The plant that did it in wasn't even near it (well, until the following Spring when it was everywhere). I bought both from the same reputable nursery (though many years apart). When I remember the name of the murderer, I will post it.

2 comments:

  1. That looks great! I've never had luck with delphinium either. They are fussy. Was the murderer just a run of the mill yellow/orange rudbeckia? They're all over-procreating thugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't recall the nae of the murderer. It was a brand new cultivar (at least, for Lockwoods) when I got it, but I've seen them still carrying it in the last couple years. I should really advise them to dump it. I'll post the name when I remember...sometimes takes a week or month for the brain to kick in. I don't think it was a rudebeckia (center was fairly flat, I think), but I could be wrong, Jim.

    ReplyDelete