Friday, March 20, 2015

Planning a bargain perennial garden: if it's large, go with Purple Echinacea.

A large garden and small budget practically require this plant...if you also have some patience. The first year, you'll just have the one plant. But, this baby reseeds readily, so you'll have big purple/pink flowers all over the place in years to come (NB: if you don't want these everywhere, best not to plant any...or be extremely vigilant about deadheading before the seeds fall).

This is a perennial, so it comes back every year. That also means it doesn't bloom the entire season, but it does have a long blooming season. Plus, it's difficult to fail with this plant. It tolerates drought and some shade. When I first started my garden, I used this as a "filler" plant. But, as I've gotten more plants over the years, I've eliminated it (I have no spots left to "fill" and was tired of pulling this out of spots I no longer needed it). However, I've introduced other echinacea variants that aren't as hardy and never seem to reseed. kind of miss this one, though.

11 comments:

  1. I had some of these in my garden for a while, but they all died for lack of water. I guess "drought tolerant" was not tolerant enough for the scarce water that my garden gets! The ones that have done the best for me are marigolds and garden cosmos. Well... and, of course, sedum and yarrow... you know, stuff that others might call "weeds." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At a previous address, I had a neighbor call my entire garden "weeds." I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! So true... I planted some vines on my fence a few years back and one of my neighbors was aghast. "You planted those weeds?!?" she exclaimed. I think they're beautiful though. And my Ex used to refer to xeriscaped gardens as "organized weeds" - I fear mine aren't even very well organized! I have a Darwinian approach to ornamental plants - the ones that can survive neglect get to stay - for all others it's "sorry Charlie!"

      Delete
  3. I think I'll get some seeds for this and put it in the mud patch in front of the foreclosure house next door. It will be a lot less ugly than the actual weeds that grow there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Alex. A bonus is that the seed heads attract goldfinch in the fall.

      Delete
    2. I think Alex really just needs to try and attract buyers for the foreclosure house next door.

      Delete
  4. These look gorgeous. I'm totally clueless when it comes to flowers, usually just sticking to a tray of pansies when they're cheap at the car boot sales. Drought-loving and shady? I bet these would be perfect in our garden - we have 26 trees! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look gorgeous. I'm totally clueless when it comes to flowers, usually just sticking to a tray of pansies when they're cheap at the car boot sales. Drought-loving and shady? I bet these would be perfect in our garden - we have 26 trees! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vix, 26 trees is a LOT of shade. They can tolerate some shade, but not complete shade, so I wouldn't put them, say, at the base of a tree. Probably need at least 2 hours of sun or dappled sun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these but mine didn't do well. I had a good three years run and the fourth year it was just gone. It was so strange. None of my other perennials ever just "disappeared." I love these purple echinacia though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are luckier than I, then rivulet...I've had lots of perennials "disappear," especially with the extreme weather we've had in the past few years. I'll post a picture of my favorite plant that went away.

    ReplyDelete