Monday, March 9, 2015

My "not new" leather chair and my "new" feral cat. Sigh.

Finally was able to coordinate getting my sister's van and my son's muscles together to go check out a leather chair I saw on craigslist. It was not cheap ($250), but it seemed like it would be perfect (emphasis on "seem").

Nice people, but the "flawless" chair had a major scratch smack dab in the middle of the seat. Still, I had made so much effort to coordinate the pickup, I bought it anyway (with a $25 discount for the scratch, which, in my opinion was not enough...I'll post about that later). When we got the chair home, the husband determined I hadn't shoveled a wide enough path (our snow is still shoulder high, a shovel's width is all I opted for this year, and that nearly killed me) for he and the offspring to get the chair in the front door (likely the only door it will fit), so the chair is staying in the garage overnight.

Sooo...the problem is, a cat moved into our garage last night! We couldn't get it out, so I left the garage door open about a foot on the bottom so the thing wouldn't be trapped. Again today, kitty doesn't want to budge. Even my dog barking at her half the day hasn't phased her (she has plenty of spots to hide). The dog sure is enjoying the entertainment, the neighbors probably not so much.

I am worried the cat will use the chair as a scratching post or toilet. I have it covered, as you can see, but I am still worried. Tonight I am building a little cabin for kitty: plastic storage bin with lid askew, 2 liter bottle of hot water wrapped in a towel, blankie and an open can of tuna in front of the whole shebang. Hopefully this will lure kitty away so I can close the garage and protect my chair. Things never seem to be easy. The first time I have a cat in the garage and the first time I have a leather chair in the garage...and it all happens the same week.

2 comments:

  1. Poor kitty! Did it take to its new bed? Are you sure it's a feral cat and not just a lost and frightened stray? One clue is to look at the left ear - trap, neuter & release programs often tag the left ear (cut off the tip) to indicate that the cat has already been altered so they don't have to catch it and put it under to find out.

    In my experience cats aren't generally attracted to leather - either as a scratching or peeing surface. The biggest risk would be an un-neutered male spraying the side to mark it... they generally mark entrances, exits & beds. But un-neutered males are unlikely to stay put in a place like a garage, so if it ain't movin' it's probably a female. Biggest risk there is that she's pregnant and looking for a good place to have kittens (which would be someplace hidden away and not in your chair.)

    Anyhow - if you don't have any luck dealing with it on your own, you might give these folks a call:
    http://heartforanimals.org/feral_cats.php3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if she used her "hotel" or not. I put it out again for her tonight. She is a good hider, so I'm never sure if she is in the garage or not when I close it up. I have opened the garage a few times to see her sitting next to the chair (I put the chair on a little rug which is soft, dry and warm and with the throw covering the chair providing some "roofing," it is likely a comfy place).

      I can't get close enough to her to look at her ear. But, she is become slightly more familiar with us and staying is a secure, but visible spot if we are far enough away.

      It looks to be a kitten, but a pretty big kitten. I've seen it hiding under a car in a driveway a couple doors down as well (ran from the street to the car when we drove by).

      We don't usually have feral cats here, but neighborhoods within about 5 miles have a problem with them. Whatever it's situation, it will do fine here. The few neighbors' cats that are allowed out get fed by various households. I'll keep feeding this one. I like having a mouser around to protect my garden. A neighbor's cat provided that service for me for years, but passed away a couple years ago and his replacement is not as accommodating.

      Delete